Toni’s Tasty Tomato Relish 🍅
I’m all about simple, tasty comfort food that’s quick and easy to make. That definitely sums up my tasty Tomato Relish. I started making this relish and delivering it to friends in our airtight Mr. Lid 1/2 cups during our first ISO.
This afternoon, I was looking to give a thank you gift to my girlfriend who had helped me out this week. I instantly reached for a Mr. Lid ½ cup filled with our Tasty Tomato Relish that I had made earlier in the week. Just what I needed to go perfectly with the Bottle of Red wine I had just put a ribbon around.
Friends always ask “How do you love to eat your relish?”. The true answer is any way that you like it but I thought I would give you 12 ways my family and friends love to use my Tasty Tomato Relish.
One of my favourite ways of course is with a glass of wine 🍷 a chunk of cheddar 🧀 and the company of good friends. But alas Sydney is in lock down. Can you tell im missing company in ISO. So here you go....
My Twelve ways to eat my Tasty Tomato Relish
- Smear it on a sandwich – keep it simple leg ham, cheese, lettuce and relish on sourdough
- Serve it alongside your favourite cheeses and antipasto platter
- Top your meatloaf or sausages with a big dollop
- Serve it on the side of a meat pie and ditch the ketchup
- Serve it as a dip with carrots and celery
- Serve it with grilled german sausages and sauerkraut
- Add it to your favourite chicken & cheese baguette
- Serve it with pate
- Warm goats cheese or brie, pour relish over it and serve
- Mix it with Greek yogurt to make a dip
- Serve it with a grilled cheese sandwich
- Serve it on a burger, especially a cheese or veggie burger
AND NOW the recipe!
Toni’s easy Tasty Tomato Relish 🍅
Prep Time: 15 mins Cook time: 60 mins
350g red onions
800 g Red tomatoes ( I like Roma)
1 fresh red chilli deseeded
160ml Red wine vinegar
80g brown sugar
1 tsp curry powder
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp salt
- Peel and finely slice the onions, roughly dice the tomatoes and deseed and finely slice the chilli
- Put everything in a large saucepan on a medium heat and stir well to combine.
- Simmer for 50 to 60 minutes stirring frequently and mushing tomatoes. I like to give it a squash up when the tomatoes have softened. For a more chucky relish emit this stage.
- Simmer until jammy and most of the liquid has evaporated.
- Let cool and store in our airtight Mr. Lid ½ cup containers for sharing with friends.
- Keeps for up to 4 weeks in the fridge in our airtight Mr. Lid containers. Delish.
Makes approx. 3 cups